Saturday, July 14, 2012

And so it continues...

Remember how I said it could get way worse?
Mysterious lames-ness, does that fall under the category of "way worse"?
Ugh, god love horse ownership sometimes... Don't get me wrong, the good things always out weigh the bad things but good lord it does find a way of always raining on your parade!
Well again I must say it could be worse because it most definitely could be,
Last year around June Cash came up with lymphangitis from his right hind hock down a day before I was supposed to leave for Europe for 2 weeks. While I was gone he had some basic exams done and an x-ray at the barn, the vet said that they could see something in there but they weren't sure so I should schedule an appointment with the equine hospital (which is right up the road lucky us) when I am back in the country.
Once I had got back from vacation they had the swelling down, he had been being hand walked and was going alright but was still significantly lame in his back left leg, so into the trailer and up the road we went!
Dr. V our wonderful wonderful vet at the hospital preformed the lameness exam and took X-rays and found that at 8 years old Cash has a bone chip in his hock... Yea... It's just as awesome as it sounds :( and at the place it's at it is nearly in-operable without having to completely butterfly open his hock and him be completely stall bound for up to 4 months...
But there was good news to this! Cash's hocks haven't fused yet and chip is small enough that there is a high possibility that as his hocks fuse the chip will fuse back as well! So there was no need for surgery! But he would need hock injections, it was likely that he would deal with arthritis for quite sometime.
So, now that story time is over you know that he has one stick hock (honestly never slows him down) so generally when he comes up lame it's do to this... The only problem with this is that you normally get horses hocks done about every 6 months well... Cash got his done in March, he's not due for another two months at least and he normally goes at least 8 between getting them done.
I'm not sure if it's the heat (it's been hotter then hell up here in the western suburbs the last few weeks) or what! I mean I see no obvious or slightly less obvious signs of anything!
Driving me crazy and making me feel like a bad mom because I don't know what's wrong :(
But CK (my trainer) is up at a show is weekend and won't be back till Tuesday :/ hopefully I can text her and see what she says to do before then.

I'll keep updated though, hopefully we'll figure this out

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
An Equestrian with a lot on her mind! College kid just trying to make it to "real life" and a girl just hoping to figure out who exactly she is. Competing in the Illinois Hunter Jumper Circuit is a big step for Cash and I, mentally and financially so hopefully i can share a few things that can help people financially, emotionally, and however else I can! Follow Me and I'll follow you!